http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/georginaadey

I am cycling all this way, covering roughly 3500 miles to try and raise money for my two chosen charities:

The Beachy Head Chaplaincy Team and WaterAid.

Please help me to support those in need by clicking on my charity page link below and donating:

http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/georginaadey

Thank you and big cuddles to those who donate!

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Am I spoilt or losing perspective?

I knew before this trip that I needed to be physically fit to carry out this challenge, but no one told me that it was more important to be emotionally and mentally strong to see it through. Anyone can get fit, given that they are in average health and work at it continuously. Which means that anyone could cycle 50-70 miles a day like I am. Can just anyone withstand the trip mentally though? Do you have to be slightly insane or bonkers? Clearly people can as there are thousands out there who cycle around the world all the time. I would like to know how they cope emotionally. 

I feel like my mental strength is falling by the wayside a little. Perhaps I was not strong enough in the beginning or the physical work is leaking into my mind. My emotions frustrate me. I am so up and down in such short spaces of time. I am so sensitive to my basic needs, it is untrue. I never realised how affected I am by the food I eat and where my head rests at night. 

I have really realised how spoilt we are as a Western nation. We have the ability to go to a supermarket, a wonderful concept that sells all sorts of goods in one place. We can buy strawberries, cucumbers and pineapples at all times of the year and there is one price for all, no 'skin tax' added on top because you are foreign, therefore they may be able to rip you off. This is normal for us Brits, to have everything there, the convenience of it all. I could walk 15 minutes from my house and be in the centre of town with restaurants in every direction offering cuisine from all over the world. Most towns have at least a Chinese, an Indian or Fish and Chips and there is always a supermarket of some name. Here I have a choice of noodles or rice. Indeed this changes once we reach the tourist towns, which offers a much wider variety of food, but the periods of 'pho' and 'com' seem to drag. 

The hotels in the tourist towns too are decent like the food, but in between they have been pretty bad. Kris has grown to not care, but I can't stand knowing that I am sleeping in a bed that has the same sheets that only-God-knows how many people have slept in before us. I can't stand walking on dirty bedroom floors with hair all over them and bathrooms that clearly haven't been cleaned as the bin is full of someone else's rubbish, which included empty condom wrappers once. Am I sounded like a spoilt brat here? I really don't want to, but all this stuff makes me miss my nice clean bedroom!

I have really surprised myself at how homesick I have felt on this trip. I have traveled for long periods of time before; I have been to India on my own and was there for 3 and a half months and I backpacked around Europe.for a month. I certainly didn't feel like this then. Am I losing perspective? I need to remind myself that I chose to do this, that it really isn't for that long in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps it is my niggling knee and the fact that it feels as though I am sitting on blunt needles with my nappy rash - which I was hoping for both to disappear after my rest in Nha Trang. Perhaps it is the fact that Kris has found new love with a beautiful Chinese girl, which makes me miss my love at home? Perhaps my moods are going a bit mental or maybe I'm going through the menopause - at 23, maybe not. Perhaps I am just incredibly fed up by the stupid horns beeping 24/7? Always being sweaty? Always worrying about where we will eat next or sleep next? Unpacking and repacking every night and morning? Why am I focusing on all the bad things?

I don't feel like this all the time, admittedly. I would like to thank a wonderful lady called Lauren who came over to speak to me in Nha Trang about the cycle trip. She was from New York and was in awe of what we are doing and said some very kind words to me - you made my day! It is when this happens, I am on an emotional and mental high. I also don't want to undermine the support I am constantly receiving from friends and family at home, it means so much to me and I am grateful for this! 

Perhaps I am a brat, ungrateful, spoilt or losing perspective but it doesn't stop me from missing my family, friends, a home, and continuous supplies of good and varied food. Please don't judge me for posting this either...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Georgie. I've been following your blog with great interest. You've given a very human insight - you're a talented writer! Sounds like you're having a really tough spell. What you are doing is truly amazing. Of course any real challenge is bound to be difficult, but what an amazing story you are creating. I know you will give your all - you can do it! Very best wishes, Steve at Thames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Georgie, you are doing such an amazinging brave and courageous thing, and will look back at all this one day remembering the high spots. You will have your nice clean room and bed when you come home and you will see it all very differently from your peers... You are an amazingly strong person and I assure you you will reap the rewards from your adventure in the years ahead...Take care, we are all behind you and miss you also...lots of love, Zannah xxxx

    ReplyDelete