http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/georginaadey

I am cycling all this way, covering roughly 3500 miles to try and raise money for my two chosen charities:

The Beachy Head Chaplaincy Team and WaterAid.

Please help me to support those in need by clicking on my charity page link below and donating:

http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/georginaadey

Thank you and big cuddles to those who donate!

Thursday 7 October 2010

In memory of Dak... 6 years ago today

Today, the seventh of October 2010 is day of mixed emotions for me. It is six years ago that I lost my best friend. Every year I struggle my way through the anniversary date, watching people around me, never really sure how I should be feeling. If I let myself think about the day he died, I cannot function and I shut down. I remember every single detail about it and I don't think I will ever forget. It was so out of the blue, which is why it was such a shock to everyone who knew Dak. 

I try to think of all the happy times I spent with him, and there were lots. I want to try and celebrate his life, but it is hard when the reason for his death was not natural or an accident, but instead choosing to end it himself. He was the class clown at college, always had a smile to share and his laughter was infectious to those around him. 

I want everyone who knew Dak to think of a happy time they had with him and smile. I know I will be thinking about the times when we were being silly together, running together, gossiping together, shopping together. I remember canoeing with him in France - he got so annoyed he couldn't canoe in a straight line and instead went round in circles! I remember meeting him in town once and seeing him walk over to the cash point, so I ran up behind him and shouted 'Give me all your money!' and he screamed like a girl - mean I know, but very funny!. I remember him helping me take my braided extensions out of my hair, which took the two of us a couple of hours. It's silly things like this that stick fondly in my mind. 

I cannot imagine how his family feel. Losing a friend is different to losing your own child, brother or grandchild. It must hurt so much more. My thoughts are with them today. Knowing how the people who are left behind feel, I take comfort in knowing that the Beachy Head Chaplaincy Team are working hard to prevent people from taking their own lives, and in doing so, help prevent other families and friends feeling as I do.
I would like everyone who reads my blog to take a moment today to stop, and think about the happy times you have had with people around you that you love and care for. Let them know that you love them. Life is too short to not let them know.
Thank you to everyone who has donated so far. This is a reminder to all those who haven't. Please help me reach my target of £10,000 by clicking here: http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/georginaadey
Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Ever wanted to work for a cause that you care from your heart! Now Auscause gives you a chance, that too without spending any extra money. Auscause is an online store with a difference. For every penny that you spend on purchasing, it donates a part to your favourite cause. Want to be charitable today? Like Auscause on Facebook

    ReplyDelete