http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/georginaadey

I am cycling all this way, covering roughly 3500 miles to try and raise money for my two chosen charities:

The Beachy Head Chaplaincy Team and WaterAid.

Please help me to support those in need by clicking on my charity page link below and donating:

http://www.charitygiving.co.uk/georginaadey

Thank you and big cuddles to those who donate!

Tuesday 21 September 2010

The long road...

I gained a new personal best for the most miles I have ever cycled in a day. 68 miles. Which I am impressed with especially pulling a trailer that weighs in total 25 kilos and the temperatures rose to a maximum of 42°C. Yes my bum hurt, yes I was disgustingly sweaty and yes I was absolutely exhausted to the point that I couldn't even stand in the shower. Not a good state to be in but I'm glad we did it because now I know how far I can push my body, I was waaaaay out of my comfort zone. And when this happens, emotions take over and homesickness settles in. Why am I doing this when I could be easily coming home from work at 5, maybe cooking dinner for me and Michelle and sharing a bottle of rose, watching a film or catching up with my parents on the phone? Sat on the bathroom floor of the hotel in Ninh Binh, shower still running and shaking, I struggled to remind myself.

It is times like these though that I need to remind myself that if it wasn't for me doing this trip and getting my body into such a state, the BHCP and WaterAid wouldn't potentially be getting £5k each (if I reach my target of course). It also makes me realise the importance of home and how much I value this concept even more now. And of course I think about all the family and friends I have back at home who are cheering me on through texts, messages and emails - thank you for keeping me pedalling just that bit further!

It seems that although only a few towns are actually marked on the map, we have cycled through villages, and then come to long open rice paddy fields, and then another village, and then another paddy field. And so this goes on, which essentially is good for us because there are never really any worries for food, water and accomodation in Vietnam. All the villages look the same. They all have refreshments stalls, petrol stations, cafes, restaurants and garages. The scooters, the trucks and the horns are continuous throughout!


Tam Coc is a beautiful region just outside Ninh Binh, so we decided to take a look and have a well deserved rest. Similar to the Halong Bay and Cat Ba region with the moss covered rocks jutting out of the water, we were rowed in a tiny boat by 'Nam' through the rivers of Tam Coc and under the caves. A perfect way to get away from the polluted, busy roads and relax. Ready to hit the roads again tomorrow.




2 comments:

  1. Darling, Well done on your efforts so far I am very proud of you and constantly talk to people about what you are doing.... keep it up and never let the smile leave your face... love u lots dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. NinhBinh is my native land where my ancestor had lived. I wish I can visit it once time in my life. It is so beautifull. Thank u a bout the pictures. I love it.
    Tratstil

    ReplyDelete